Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

Today I was pleased to read my friend Raquel's FB post about IWD in Latvia- she said women were carrying flowers on this beautiful day.  In China, women have the day off!  Here we are moving backward in a frightening way.  The state of Virginia just passed a requirement of ultrasound for woman seeking an abortion.  And we all know about the horrors of Rush Limbaugh.  So much hatred  against women. 
   This is a poem of witness I wrote that appeared in my first chapbook:


Birthright



Past knots and tendons,



I look



through bone



and see,



in centuries past-



my face shrivel



as flames rise higher.



The point of a sword



slashes my belly.



Today, head to toe in black,



I barely breathe,



walk the required



steps behind.



The open hand



of my husband



reddens my cheek.



In  India, China girls



form the Greek chorus,



and chant,



Never born,



Never born.

No comments:

Post a Comment