Sunday, January 6, 2013

Epiphany and some reflections

     I recently went to see the latest James Bond movie, Skyfall.  and was stunned by the violence of the previews for Django Unchained, Jack Reacher, Dabangg 2, and Texas Chainsaw 3D.  Obviously this was not my usual demographic.  My first thought was no wonder this country is so violent. 
    This morning I was listening to an interview with Tarentino.  My question to him would have been, "Do your movies contribute to the violence of this society or do you see them as a catharsis for violence?"  I would say they do both and there is a responsibility to one creating violence for public viewing. 

    On a different note, Los Reyes Magos, January 6th was a fun holiday in Spain and the end to a long string of feasts and parties.  I fondly remember Reyes in the small town in the Priorat where the Kings arrival was signalled by fireworks at the train station.  They made their way up the hill to town by tractor, pulling a wagon full of gifts for all the kids in town.
    This is a poem for the day I pull out at this time of year.  If you follow my blog, you've seen it before.


Epiphany



The Three Kings are lost

in whirling snows.

Camels sink unsure

in lands

past sands and tropics.

My door has no shoes

awaiting gifts or coal.

My favorite Balthazar,

for the name

and stately beard

shakes his head no.

Too cold, too far.

Here in white

crusted snow,

Each step ices,

my heart shivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment