Friday, October 10, 2014

Another cancer story?

When I wrote this story I was looking for a way out of the familiar pain of my mother's death from cancer.  It was ever present, even years later and I was tired of feeling my own heavy sorrow which I understood could be nothing like what she had suffered.  The thought occurred to me to write about cancer and all of those emotions from the perspective of a young mother.


When I worked as a reader for a publishing house in Barcelona, the editor would pick up a memoir or a novel and say, "Another cancer story."  It was always said with a particular disdain so it took me a long time to write the story, hoping her viewpoint wasn't one shared by my potential readers.  In fact, "Three Months" has become one of the stories I've written that I'm most proud of. 


As Dylan Thomas wrote, "After the first death, there is no other."  Or is it that each subsequent death only widens the breach in the heart created by the first one?  In any case, I hope you enjoy reading the story published in Grey Sparrow Press.







No comments:

Post a Comment