Sunday, February 1, 2015

Show, Don't Tell

February 1st and I am in a new land, a new life.  No more winter storms (can I admit I miss them a bit), just a forest of pine surrounding.
I was reminded by FB that I haven't posted on my page.  Like a nagging parent, I am controlled by the media around me or is it that I just succumb to easily?  I was doing research on Pinterest for a story I was writing.  Next thing I knew, I had several people following me.  What was I to do?  Post some pictures of course.  One more distraction, this one visual!
     So to obey the media that is cracking down, here' s a poem I reworked.  We are in Mercury retrograde so I can re-do, re-work, and re-write. 




A Mother’s Tale


 


                        Show, don’t tell,
repeat the writer’s mantra.
Tell color, taste, smell the details
like the name of the ship,
General SD Surges,
leaving Bremen Germany


 in deep fog


heading to


                       America, 1949.


No smashed champage send off,


                       no rolls of crepe.



Grey sky, grey sea


melt  into one space.
Salt caked on lips, in hair,


                        the sweet scent of milk,
leaking from your breasts


                        for one lost and one left behind.





No comments:

Post a Comment