Saturday, March 7, 2015

Women's Day!

                Happy International Women's Day!  Years ago when I was teaching at the University of Barcelona I remember wearing purple in honor of this day.  Do women still do that? In Latvia it's a day for honoring the women in your life with flowers.  It's a national holiday in China and many other countries, but sadly here in the US, I have never seen much evidence of celebration on a wide scale.  In fact, when I google the day, Forbes has a list of articles in honor of women which  include "business wear for women." 


Gender equality?  Still a long way off, I'm afraid.  And the biases are ever present.  http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/12/09/gender_bias_in_student_evaluations_professors_of_online_courses_who_present.html


This article has the title of-"Best Way for Professors to get Good Student Evaluations?  Be male". So there we have it.  Still a long way to go. 


Here's a poem I often open my readings with since there is usually some tragic event involving women around the time of the readings.




Birthright


Past knots and tendons,


 


I look


 


to bone


 


and see,


 


 centuries past.


 


My face shrivels


 


as flames rise higher.


 


The point of a sword


 


slashes my belly.


 


Today, head to toe in black,


 


I barely breathe,


 


walk the requisite


 


steps behind.


 


The open hand


 


of my husband


 


reddens my cheek.


 


In  India and China


 


girls form


 


the Greek chorus,


 


and chant,


 


never born,


 


never born.





No comments:

Post a Comment