Monday, September 21, 2015

The Unexpected Change for the Better


Sometimes there is a pleasant surprise in a world that is increasingly complex.  I never expected the Berlin Wall to come down in 1989 nor did I ever imagine that Latvia, my parents’ homeland, would ever be independent again.  Or that Nelson Mandela would be president of South Africa.  Finding this article in The Guardian was also a pleasant surprise.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/sep/19/medellin-colombia-city-not-dangerous-but-lively

 

The year I spent in Medellin in the mid 1980’s could not have been more different.  Here’s a poem I wrote about that time.

 

The Escobar Years

Cross Medellin square. Man in paddy wagon shouts. Out next morning, amigo, no problem I say. I make necklaces of seeds. and stumble home from cafés where beggars play guitars and men with open sores crawl the sidewalk, a procession straight from God. Slices of green mango served with shots of aguardiente, my only food. Gunshots at night, hide under table. Thick with age, these are my war stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment