Sunday, December 23, 2018

Christmas- past and present

The Christmas fantasy is upon us once more.  What is all the hype telling us?  Are we  supposed to participate in huge family get togethers and sing carols?  Champagne flutes clinking as we raise our glasses dressed in sweaters decorated with reindeer and holly?
      Yes, but....
      Growing up in a Latvian household we celebrated Christmas with a tree.  Was Latvia really where the tradition of a Christmas tree originated?  Our neighbors had a tree farm so we ventured out to choose one and chop it down ourselves.
      Another tradition we did follow was filling out endless Christmas cards (the Latvian community was spread far and wide), signed with vele Peipins gimene.  For some reason my father's favorite Christmas charity was Boys Town where you filled out a prayer request.  His was always for family peace.  Maybe he had an inkling of what the future would bring.
      Santa played no role in that world  As small children my sister and I waited for Santa to show which unfortunately he never did.  We were gifted strange items from my parents' friends like fruitcakes and skates which didn't fit.  It wasn't that we never had presents.  My father always brought us books and treats every time he went to Buffalo for medical treatments which was once a month.  Our  uncles kept us in chocolates and candy. Birthdays were big affairs.  One year I got a enormous teddy bear and another year, a small piano. These gifts just never coincided with Christmas.
      Christmas was a holiday that didn't fit.  My years in Spain provided relief from the hype.  Christmas and the day after, San Esteban (Boxing Day) were days of big meals in Barcelona.  A Christmas soup made with many ingredients and days of preparing required a round pasta that was so big it fit on a soup spoon.  Dessert was always turron, a sweet almond nougat.  Gifts were never a big deal, just a small token.   In fact, gifts were often a business proposition with  work places giving lotes ( boxes that often included a Spanish ham) or at least wine or chocolate. 
      I enjoyed a few Christmases in Atlanta.  My sister decorated and enjoyed giving and receiving lovely gifts.  These years I spend the holidays with my partner or friends.  As one of my single friends says this holiday is stressful enough without being part of someone else's family drama.
      What is the solution for those of us not blessed with an abundance of family?  I was relieved when my partner said he was happy to celebrate Christmas with me.  We'll have a nice meal, Spanish style, enjoy the gifts from my sister, and the cookies (American ones are the best) a friend has baked.  We'll be grateful for the light and the possibility of a new year filled with joy, good health, and a touch of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment