Wednesday, July 19, 2023

My Life in Languages

     At the moment I was about to drift off into sleep, I had the brilliant idea to study Latin.  What could be better than a language I don't have to speak? I would be able to read inscriptions on statues and maybe even read the poems of Sulpicia or Catullus.  When I was a child, my cousin gifted me a small book, "Springs of Roman Wisdom".  Why I have no idea but I liked the stern profiles of the "illustrious" men of the time and the mysterious quotes.

    My first language was Latvian.  It gives me a world of nature, fantasy and names of strange ailments.  I learned English at school.  Although Latvian has a "sh" sound, my first grade teacher sent me to a speech therapist who showed me pictures of shoes and made me pronounce the word.  I never understood why and was upset because this made me late for lunch.

    I studied French in school and made it to Paris in my junior year of college.  Like anyone who has studied a language in school, actually speaking it is very different.  In a Paris bar, a guy explained to me how to correctly pronounce the language and how to form the unaspirated p.  It worked because I could talk to the workers downing red wine in the morning cafes and use the telephone system with no problem.

    French functioned until I learned Spanish which took over that part of my brain.  I decided to learn Spanish the natural way, which meant I didn't study it formally for a long time but just spoke it with endless mistakes.  It was my way of testing language acquisition theory which worked but always left me with the doubt if I was saying things correctly.  

    I had a short stint with Russian.  I loved drawing the letters but I had a Russian teacher so strict that I developed a tic in my eye and dreaded attending class.  The fear system worked up to a point because you never went to class unprepared but in the end the tic won out.  I tried a very short-lived Chinese class when I was in Malaysia.  Mostly I decided to try it out to give some work to a friend's Chinese wife who was going crazy with nothing to do.  I remember absolutely nothing of Chinese.  Once a psychic told me I'd had a horrible life there so I became afraid of visiting.  The closest I got was Hong Kong.

    My years of living in Barcelona made studying Catalan a must.  I struggled with the politics of the language which is exclusive so I never took to it though I studied it.  The highlight of my Catalan studies was explaining to the class how I grew up in a county with more cows than people.  That fit in with the Catalan glorification of rural culture.  

    Back to Latin- it will never be a political statement but perhaps an elite one but since I never went to private or Catholic school and am proud of my working class background I don't care.  I love words so what could be better?   I'll never have to feel foolish making the simplest of mistakes and most importantly, I'll be able to read those inscriptions in museums.  

No comments:

Post a Comment